Prof. M. S. Shetty
Prof. M. S. Shetty is a Civil Engineer with over 50 years of professional experience. During his long service, he has worked as a site engineer, a research worker, a professor, a post graduate guide, a consultant, and an advisor. Since his retirement in 1989, he has conducted over 100 training programs on various aspects of Concrete Technology to train site engineers of major construction companies, Government, State Government departments and private contractors. He has also delivered over 150 technical lectures on the subject Concrete Technology and related topics to Architects, Builders, Structural consultants and other professional engineers, all over India. Prof. Shetty was a founder Chairman of Indian Concrete Institute, Pune centre. He has worked as Vice President (W) of Indian Concrete Institute, as a member of Board of Studies of Pune University, as a member of Expert Committee and consultant to Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), as a member of working group of Infrastructure of Pimpri Chinchwad New Township Development Authority, (PCNTD) and as a member of National Committee on Science and Technology (NCST), New Delhi. Prof. Shetty received the following awards:
* Commendation Medal of Engineer-in-Chief, Army Head quarters, New Delhi
* Outstanding Concrete Technologist of India from ICI
* C.M. Shah Concrete Technology Award from Institution of Engineers Pune centre
* Meritorious Service award from American Concrete Institute India
His highly popular & best -selling book is " Concrete Technology: Theory & Practice"
Prof. M. S. Shetty, Founder Chairman of Indian Concrete Institute (ICI) Pune, and also an awardee "Outstanding Concrete Technologist of India" for the year 2002, is being honoured by Shree Mahendra Raj, Ex president of (ICI) at New Delhi on 11th Dec. 2008. He was honoured for the significant contribution made by him for the advancement in Concrete Technology in India.
B. S. Bisht
Mr. B. S. Bisht, a well known author of Chemistry Textbook for ICSE & ISC has been exclusively associated with S. Chand & Company for the last 30 years He was born on 8th July 1941 and had a very good academic career. He is a keen reader and an enthusiastic traveller. He studied in DSB Govt. College, Nainital and received his Postgraduate degree in the year 1966 and thereafter Master of Education degree from Lucknow University. A very large number of students all over the country have been immensely benefitted by the books he has written. He has an experience of teaching chemistry in classes XI -XII for about 35 year. He was Head of Chemistry Deptt in La Martiniere College, Lucknow and retired in the year 2003. His famous Publications are as follows:
ISC Chemistry for Class IXth
ISC Chemistry for Class Xth
ISC Chemistry for Class Xlth
ISC Chemistry for Class XIIth
Dr. N. D. V. Prasada Rao
Dr. N. D. V. Prasada Rao was born on 27-2-1937 at Vetapalem (Prakasam district),Andhra Pradesh. He did M.A. (English literature) - Andhra University - 1958, Post-graduate Diploma in the Teaching of English - CIEFL, Hyderabad - 1966 and Ph.D. on (Henry James’s fiction) - Andhra University - 1986. He taught English in various government degree colleges (in the Andhra Pradesh Educational service)” for 37 years (from 1958 to 1995), worked as Lecturer in English for 6 years, Head of the Dept. of English for 19 years and principal for 12 years and retired in February 1995.
His prominent publications with S. Chand & Co.:
* A Practical English Course for College students (First published in 1969),prescribed as a grammar textbook for the Intermediate Course by the Govt. of Andhra Pradesh for nine years.
* Chand Communicative Grammar & Composition -Books 1to 6 (First published in 1987)
* Learners’ English Grammar and Composition (First published in 1990, widely used at secondary and tertiary levels.) Books 1to 6
* A Communicative Course in English Books 1 to 5 and Workbooks 1 to 5 (First published in 2002)
* S. Chand student’s Companion Books 1 and 2 (First published in 2005)
He has revised Wren & Martin’s High School English Grammar & Composition (First revised edition, 1973). Also revised P.C.Wren’s Grammar Series for Children (2005).
Prof. Ruddar Datt
Prof. Ruddar Datt, Author of the famous book "Indian Economy" by Ruddar Datt and K.P.M Sundharam has become a household name in the field of Economics. The 59th English edition of the book has been published with a 46th edition in Hindi in 2009. Mr. Datt taught Economics to graduate students for a period of 43 years in Punjab and Delhi Universities. He was elected president of the prestigious Indian Economic Association in 1991. He was also the President of Indian Society of Labour Economics (1991). He retired as Director, School of Correspondence Courses, Delhi in 1995 and is presently Visiting Professor, Institute for Human Development, New Delhi. He pioneered the first research study on 'Lockouts in India' in 2003.
Pratibha Nath is the daughter of the late Dr. K.C. Mehta, a renowned botanist, remembered for his valuable research on wheat rust. She was born & brought up in Agra. She did her M.A. in English from Agra University and got a gold medal at both B.A . & M.A. levels. She has several years of experience in teaching English and History to middle & senior classes in schools. She has written several books for use in schools, among them supplementary readers and books on comprehension and creative writing. She is a creative writer herself and five of her story books are on the shelves of U.S. Library of Congress, Washington. Her forte is short stories. She has conducted story-telling sessions in several Delhi schools. As a freelance journalist she has contributed articles & short stories to many leading newspapers & magazines. Her major interests are music, reading & gardening.
Some of her books published by S.Chand are:
• Living With Values I to VIII
• SPELL IT I to V
• A Treasure of Tales I to VI
V.K. Mehta, a well-known author of Physics and Engineering books, has been exclusively associated with S. Chand and Company for the last 30 years. He was born on 26th June, 1944 and had a brilliant career; being a scholarship holder throughout his academic and engineering career. He has a vast experience of teaching different Engineering subjects including Electronics, Power System and Electrical Machines. He has also been associated with the design of electrical and electronic equipments. His rich experience in teaching and design is amply reflected in his books which are known for simple language, clarity and practical orientation. Some of his books are so popular that they are acclaimed as a masterpiece on the subject.
His most popular books published by S. Chand and Company are :
• Principles of Electronics
• Principles of Power System
• Principles of Electrical Machines
• Principles of Electrical Engineering
• Basic Electrical Engineering
• Principles of Electrical Engineering and Electronics
• Objective Electrical Technology
• Principles of Physics for Classes XI and XII
Prof. H.K. Dass
Prof. H.K. Dass, recepient of British Scholarship in 1971-72, for Specialist Study in ADVANCE MATHEMATICS at University of Hull, England. Prof. Dass, M. Sc. (Mathematics) Ist. division and college topper, has been teaching Mathematics to Engineering students for last 35 years and is the most popular faculty among students. Prof. Dass has etablished his reputation all over India and other neighbouring countries very firmly as an author of Mathematics Text books. He has to his credit 20 books of Engineering Mathematics and Maths school books. His books are very popular among engineering students all over the country, Sri lanka, Pakistan, East Asia and African countries. After the success of Engineering Mathematics books, the publisher encouraged him to write mathematics books for schools. In a short span of time, his mathematics books for class IX, X, XI and XII are a hit among school teachers' and students' community. "Mathematics for class X" is the best book among all the prevailing books available to the students, and gets a special mention. He has been awarded as Distinguished Author by our company. As an educationist his name has been approved as Member, Governing Body of Shyam Lal College by VC, University of Delhi. Prof. H.K. Dass has been conferred with " SECULAR INDIA HARMONY AWARD - 1998" by Honb'le Prime Minister, Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee in 1999.
His famous books are:
• Advanced Engineering Mathematics
• Engineering Mathematics for AMIE
• Mathematical Physics for B.Sc. Hons.
• Introduction to Engineering Mathematics I & II for U.P.
• Basics of Engineering Mathematics I, II & III for M. P.
• Concept of Engineering Mathematics for Orissa
• Fundamentals of Engineering Mathematics I, II & III for Uttarakhand
• S. Chand's Engineering Mathematics I & II for Nagpur
• Elements of Engineering Mathematics I & II for Gujarat (In Press)
• Mathematics for IX, X , XI & XII(English-Hindi)
• Laboratory Manual in Mathematics for X
• Simplified Co-ordinate Geometry for B. Sc.
Dr. H.L. Ahuja
Dr. H.L. Ahuja is one of the senior authors of S. Chand & Company Ltd. Dr. Ahuja obtained his M.A. degree in Economics with distinction from Punjab University Chandigarh in 1961. In the same year he won McConnel-Levin Prize from Punjab University Chandigarh for his paper on "Investment Criteria in Development Planning". He was awarded Ph.D. by Delhi University in 1982 for his thesis on "Development Strategy in a Labour Surplus Economy with Special Reference to India." Dr. Ahuja has immense experience of teaching. He taught papers of "Advanced Economic Theory", "Development Economics and Problems of Indian Economy" to postgraduate classes for three years in Kurukshetra University. In 1966, he joined Zakir Husain College, Delhi University, where he has been teaching papers of "Micro and Macro Economic Theory", "Development Policy and Indian Economy" to students of Economics Honours. Dr. Ahuja was a member of Academic Council of Delhi University for five years (1987-92). He is a prolific writer and has more than a dozen books to his credit–all published by S. Chand & Company Ltd.
Prof. (Dr.) M. V. Pylee
* Prof. (Dr.) M. V. Pylee has been conferred with 'PADMA BHUSHAN' on 26th January 2006.
* He has been appointed as 'NATIONAL RESEARCH PROFESSOR' on 16th June 2006. Emeritus Professor Dr. M. V. Pylee is a well known authority on Constitutional Government and a pioneer in the field of Management Education in India. Prof. Pylee has a distinguished academic career in India and abroad. He has taught at the Universities of Lucknow, Patna, Delhi, Kerala and Cochin and was a Director of the Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad. He was a Fulbright Smith-Mundt Scholar at Harvard University and later a visiting professor at the University of Pennsylvania.
He is the recipient of many honours and awards among which are the coveted KMA Management Leadership Award, the International Leadership Award for Outstanding Service to Teaching and Management Profession, International Award for Distinguished Service to Global Higher Education and Hon. D. Litt, degree of Banaras Hindu University. Prof. Pylee has written over thirty books and published over 200 research papers.
His prominent Publications with S. Chand:
• India's Constitution
• Constitutional Government in India